EPNOE – ESEIA International Summer School 2022
Topic: Sustainable Materials for Renewable Energy Applications (SURE2022)
Timing: 11 – 15 July 2022
Host: EPNOE Member Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB, CSIC), ES
Format: In-person event
Deadline registration: 30 May 2022
Main topical focus:
Smart Energy Materials have a vast potential to help industry and society grow into a new climate-neutral era. The aim is to reduce dependence on rare earths and enhance performance and efficiency, such as improving lightweight materials and their manufacturing techniques for renewable energy harvesting, storage, and use.
EPNOE and ESEIA WG Smart Energy Materials organized a Workshop on 29 June 2021 followed by a mapping exercise to define sustainable materials and their applications for climate neutrality.
As a result, the EPNOE – ESEIA ISS will study a range of sustainable materials including nano‐cellulose based biomaterials, multi‐material polymers, bioresins, photocatalysts, rare earths, and permanent magnets. These materials will be characterised and their potential for RES applications, including in renewable energy provision from solar, wind and hydrogen, storage systems, heating and cooling systems, fuel production systems, inter-and multimodal transport.
Target audience: Young researchers (Master students, PhD fellows and junior Postdocs)
Please find more information here.
SURE2022 has a limited number of spots available. Register before 30 May 2022 to secure a spot!
ESEIA International Student Camp 2022
You are invited to take part in the ESEIA Student Camp 2022 to solve complex real world problems together with experts from industry and academia.
- Familiarize with the current biorefinery products, processes and challenges.
- Work in small groups and learn about opportunities for market growth with a focus on bioresources.
- Meet people with similar interests and start networking.
- Reach beyond your limits at this year’s Student Camp.
Topic: Process Development and Evaluation in Biorefinery Industry
Timing: 26 – 30 September 2022
Host: ESEIA member LNEG, Lisbon, Portugal
Aim: The aim of the Student Camp is to challenge students to systematically solve complex, real-world problems related to bioenergy and biorefineries together with experts from industry and academia.
- Process integration for energy and water savings
- Evaluation of process alternatives: Renewables integration, Solar drying, Gas from Biomass
- Alternative feedstocks
- Ash upgrade
- Students enrolled in a Master/PhD program with the following backgrounds: Biorefinery/(Bio)Chemical/Mechanical/Material Engineering, Economics and Marketing
- Early-Stage Researchers (ESRs) working in industry or academia
More information coming soon!
ESEIA Conference 2022
Topic: Towards Climate Neutral Energy Communities
Host: ESEIA Member The Cyprus Institute, Cyprus
Date: 2 – 3 November 2022
Key topics addressed:
- Climate change impact on energy needs and sources
- Distributed energy generation and storage, new systems, approaches and materials
- Sustainable heating and cooling
- Positive energy buildings and districts
- Embedded emissions and circular urban metabolism
- Community engagement, climate education, behavioural approaches and strategies, energy poverty
- Decarbonisations of local mobility systems
- Emerging nature-based solutions
- Green aesthetics and architecture
- Policy and finance mix for the achievement of climate neutral communities
- Hybrid (Nicosia and online platform)
- Keynote speeches and panel discussions
- 5 thematic ESEIA Working Group Sessions
- Side events from current projects
- Innovators’ space
More information coming soon!